We have had a bountiful harvest of tomatoes this year, praise God! So in addition to the spaghetti sauce, fresh salsa and tomato sandwiches we keep making, I was SO excited to find this Tomato Pie at Weekend Potluck! And DOUBLE BONUS: it contains two of my favorite ingredients, Frank’s Hot Sauce and Havarti Cheese! This is NOT a spicy pie, do not be alarmed. All my kids ate it and loved it.
Havarti Cheese Tomato Pie
adapted from Recipes for Divine Living
- 1 whole Pie Crust, Baked
- 4 whole Green Onions, Thinly Sliced
- 3 Tablespoons Italian Blend Shredded Cheese
- 18 whole (or More Depending On Size) Cherry Tomatoes, Sliced In Half
- ¼ cups Basil Leaves, Cut Into Thin Strips
- ¼ cups (heaping) Mayonnaise
- ½ cups Colby Jack Cheese Shreds
- 5 ounces, weight Havarti Cheese, Cut Into Slices
- 4 whole Shakes Of Frank’s Hot Sauce
- Salt & Cracked Pepper To Taste
Par-bake pie shell according to package directions, set aside. Turn oven to 350°.
Slice tomatoes and dab with paper towels, to get rid of excess moisture.
Sprinkle almost baked crust with Italian cheese and 1/2 of the green onions.
In a medium bowl, mix together the grated cheese, mayonnaise, hot sauce, a sprinkling of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Layer 1/2 the tomatoes into the pie crust, cover with remaining green onions, 1/2 the basil. Repeat with the remaining tomatoes and basil. Cover with Havarti cheese slices, then spread the cheese-mayo mixture over the top.
Bake until browned and bubbly, 35-50 minutes.
Cover crust edge with foil during cooking to protect from over browning, if needed.